As a global network of locally owned and operated, full-service Neighbourhood Business Centres, PostNet has become a trusted neighbourhood resource for helping individuals and businesses succeed -
a proven partner in helping customers successfully complete their daily printing, copying and shipping projects. Unlike a traditional mail franchise or printing franchise, PostNet takes the ordinary project,
adds creative support, and makes it extraordinary.
- Unique Service/Retail Concept
- B2B/Consumer Friendly
- Modern Store Design
- Multi-Carrier (TNT, DHL, FedEx and StarTrack)
- Trusted Neighbourhood Resource
- Time-tested Business Model
After developing hundreds of independent mail and parcel centers from 1983 to 1991, PostNet founders Steve Greenbaum and Brian Spindel launched the PostNet
business service franchise in July of 1993 and have never looked back. The key differentiators between PostNet and other shipping franchise, copy franchise and print franchise competitors is the strength and
diversification of our business model and our commitment to an open and inclusive culture and franchisee involvement in all aspects of the organisation.
- Over 27 years industry experience
- Over 750 Locations Worldwide
- World Class Training/Support
- Industry Leading Technology
- Recognised Leaders in Franchise Community
Regardless of your background or experience, PostNet provides the training and support you will need to successfully operate your PostNet business services franchise. Our system ensures that you will start-up properly,
transition quickly into effective day-to-day management and operations and ultimately learn how to focus on increasing sales and improving profitability as your business grows.
- Financial/Business Planning
- Site Selection/Lease Negotiation
- Store Design/Installation
- Comprehensive Training Program
- Marketing/Advertising Support
- Ongoing Business Support
PostNet Business Centres are typically located where small business people and busy consumers live and work. Successful PostNet Business centres can be found in smaller rural markets up to major metropolitan cities depending upon a variety of contributing factors.
- Outstanding opportunities available in all major markets
- Every franchisee receives a protected territory
- No territory limitations on marketing to customers
- Area Representative agreements available
PostNet Franchises Available
Single Unit Franchise
PostNet's Single Unit Franchise licence grants an individual or entity the right to own and operate an individual PostNet Business Centre in an approved business location.
PostNet's Area Representative licence grants an individual or entity the right to assist PostNet Australia in developing a specific exclusive territory.
This includes support in recruiting new franchisees, securing new locations, coordinating the store development process and providing local training and pre-opening support to new franchisees.
Whether you are interested in developing a Single Unit store, Multiple stores or an Entire Territory, we have the right opportunity for you.
Choosing the franchise opportunity that best suits your personality and skills is critical. For a franchisor, there's nothing more important than bringing the right franchisees into the system. PostNet's exploration process has been engineered to provide you with all of the information you'll need to make an informed business decision about becoming a PostNet franchisee.
The exploration process takes about 45 days to complete.
Franchisees take a self-guided tour that will provide an overview of a PostNet franchise from 10,000 metres.
This step gives franchisees more information about PostNet's strategic direction, the overall printing and shipping industry, a PostNet owner's role and opportunities for growth.
Peace of Mind
This step of our exploration process provides an overview of the PostNet Joint Disclosure Document (JDD) and offers tips on contacting current franchisees for additional information on what it's like to be a PostNet franchisee.
Open for Business
In this step of the exploration process, we cover the assistance PostNet provides franchisees prior to opening their doors for business, including business planning and financing, location search and lease negotiation, design and installation of store fixtures, initial training and store staffing.
Growing the Business
This segment of the exploration process highlights PostNet's program for marketing and advertising your PostNet store and services.
System for Success
PostNet will discuss with the franchisee proven support, technology, ongoing training and the support departments within PostNet headquarter.
This is the culmination of the exploration process. Franchisees visit PostNet Australia headquarter for one day in Sydney, NSW and meet with the Company Director and all of the members of the PostNet team. At the end of the visit, we will make the final determination to offer you your own PostNet franchise.
PostNet offers a unique combination of high-demand mailing & shipping, as well as document services and finishing. Some of the points of differentiation that favor PostNet are:
- PostNet Business Centre are located closer to where customers live and work on the interior of neighbourhoods and in convenient retail locations.
- PostNet's franchisee owner operators allow for higher level of service and convenience for customers.
- PostNet offers a multi-carrier selection as a FedEx,DHL,TNT and StarTrack authorised ship centre. In essence, PostNet services customers that are loyal to all three of the major brands and offers a complete line of postal services. PostNet is supported on the FedEx and DHL locator systems and these companies send their customers to PostNet Centres. Being a multi-carrier allows PostNet to offer a more diverse offering and with our complete business services offering, PostNet is the complete package one-stop centre for small business and has a higher level of service.
- PostNet's store design, proprietary signage, and merchandising sets us apart by creating a bright, professional, and user-friendly environment that is engineered to be both efficient and effective in delivering a great shopping experience for PostNet customers.
There is a competitive market for PostNet's products and services because the market is huge. The overall market for shipping and mailing services is over $170 billion dollars strong and the growing documents services market represents another $100 billion dollars. With PostNet's store design, programs and services, along with the best franchisees in the business, PostNet competes very well in the marketplace. PostNet serves the fastest growing segment of business today; the small and micro businesses including Small Office Home Office (SOHO) workers, home based businesses, retail and service businesses, and road warriors (traveling business people).
- PostNet is a retail and service business, and as such we are looking for people with outgoing personalities that would do an excellent job of representing the brand and their business to the public.
- On a financial level, a potential PostNet franchisee must have a net worth of at least $200,000.00 and be (or be able to become) liquid for a minimum of $150,000.00. If a prospective franchisee meets these qualifications along with having a good credit score and history
Yes. PostNet has long term relationships and national contracts with all four major carriers (FedEx, DHL, TNT and StarTrack) that provide various benefits, significant discounts on ground and air services. These relationships allow the carriers to use PostNet's prime retail locations as a delivery system for their services and products to the public and it also allows PostNet franchisees to profit and benefit from offering "Fortune 100" company services through their locations.
PostNet's marketing programs include:
- Local programs, which the franchisees utilise to build and develop awareness and loyalty with current customer base.
- Regional and cooperative advertising, where PostNet franchisees get together with other franchisees and leverage their strength in numbers.
- National programs that are conducted by the PostNet National Advertisement Fund.
Also, PostNet is the only company in the industry that offers a first-year managed marketing program that includes both consumer advertising and business-to-business advertising to help develop an initial customer base and momentum for the growth of the business.
The PostNet investment is made up of three primary components:
- The franchise fee, which covers all of the initial assistance for store opening along with the training, education, franchise support and rights to use the brand over the 10-year term of the franchise agreement. The franchise fee is $48,000. Unlike other competitors, PostNet's franchise fee is inclusive, therefore there are no other significant tuitions, construction management or other fees that are added on top of the franchise fee.
- The PostNet Centre Development fee. This fee covers the store Fitouts, initial inventory supplies, fixtures and other items necessary to get the store up and running. PostNet's Centre Development package fee is $100,000 to $150,000 depends on location and size.
- The operating, working and start-up capital. This amount is approximately $60,000 and would cover costs like initial advertising, monies available to the owner operator to cover the negative cash flow during the start-up period.
PostNet's royalty, which covers the on-going service and support of our stores, is 5% of the gross sales of the business. As a result of the royalty, the store owner receives access to the "franchisee website" and PostNet's on-going world class service and support. The national advertising contribution is 2%, which helps support a number of national advertising campaigns on an annual basis as well as locator systems, cooperative activities and other system-wide advertising and marketing initiatives.
No. A franchisee may sell at any time, however the incoming franchisee must have the 'approval' of the franchisor.
Every business entails risk. However franchised business has a far greater success rate than stand alones because the concept has been proven many times over and centralised resources are available that few individual businesses could afford.
The financial return you will realise as an owner of any small business will depend on many factors including, but not limited to, how well you perform and follow the franchise system, local economics and costs, competition, and how aggressively you market yourself and your business. Starting a new business always carries some level of risk, so we encourage you to speak with our franchisees to learn about their experience and satisfaction with the business, including the financial performance of their own franchise. By speaking with franchisees you will be able to understand the potential of the business and what is necessary to be successful.
PostNet only grants franchises to individuals that are planning on being involved initially as a full-time owner operator. Long term, full-time ownership and operation of the centres are not required; however, initially it is critical because PostNet is a Neighbourhood Business Centre and it is up to the individual store owner to become actively involved in the community to promote the services and products offered.
PostNet is with you every step of the way, starting with location and finishing with the opening of your business. We have a full-service approach and it starts with our Real Estate Department working with you and local real estate professionals to identify every location in your market that meets PostNet's criteria. This criteria includes physical attributes of the locations, such as access, visibility, signage, tenant mix and traffic patterns. It also includes a demographic review looking at the population and makeup of the trade area around the proposed location. Ultimately, the location is selected by the franchisee with PostNet's assistance, and then it is up to PostNet to approve your site. Once the location is identified, PostNet offers assistance through the lease negotiation and culminating in the execution of a lease for your new business location.
This depends on the size and nature of the franchise chosen, and the franchisee's talents, willingness and commitment to closely follow the system's proven business formula. However note that under the Franchise code of conduct, franchisors are not permitted to make representations regarding returns. Typically you can get the best idea from other franchisees in the system and the franchisor is required to provide you with a list of contact.
Yes. Initially an owner operator of a franchise will typically have one (1) to two (2) Casual / Part-time or Full-time staff members to help with the operation of the store. As the business grows, and you build a customer base, more employees and staff will be needed. Our highest volume locations have four (4) to six (6) full-time staff members including the franchisee.
Typical hours of a PostNet Business Centre begin between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. and close between to 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Most stores do not open on Saturday, Sunday or Public Holidays.
The average center is 50 to 150 sq. metre; however, we have centres as small as 20 sq. m. and also larger stores that range upwards to 200 sq. metre. The PostNet concept is flexible and the size of your centre will depend not only on your plans, but also on what size locations are available in your local market.
Once a franchise agreement is signed, the typical time needed to get a centre open is approximately 90 to 270 days. This depends much on the real estate that is identified.
When you receive our Franchise Information Kit and Joint Disclosure Document, you will also find a copy of PostNet’s Investigation Guide. This will explain our franchisee selection process in much more detail. Should you decide to enter the process, you will participate in a series of informative discussions and receive materials along the way that will illustrate the strength and value of the PostNet organisation and franchise opportunity. This 4 – 6 week process will ultimately culminate in a "Discovery Day" meeting at PostNet Australia Headquarters in Sydney, where we will come to a mutual conclusion about whether or not there is a good fit for you and the company.
If you like what you see so far and would like to enter the process, please fill-out the Franchise Application Form and we will be in touch with you shortly.